No matter how careful you can be while driving on eastern North Carolina roadways, you cannot account on the behavior of other drivers. Do you know what to do if another car were to clip you at a red light and then they keep driving? What if you came out of a shop and found your car damaged without a note left on your windshield?
You should know how to handle a hit-and-run accident before it happens. You can panic in the heat of the moment and cause you to skip some critical steps that can help you recover after a hit-and-run.
Your first steps should be:
If someone strikes your car and doesn’t stop to exchange contact or insurance information, do these things:
- Call the paramedics if you or anyone in your car has sustained an injury.
- While you’re waiting, try to recall and note any details you can remember about the other car, including the make, model, color, license plate number and the direction they were traveling.
- See if there are witnesses who can provide additional information.
- Take pictures of your vehicle’s damage from multiple angles.
- Finally, just like any other type of accident, you need to call law enforcement so they can file an accident report. This will become key if you decide to file an insurance claim in the future.
Hit-and-run accidents are a crime, this makes them unique as compared to other accidents. Another reason you should contact the police with a hit-and-run accident is so your car insurance provider does not fault you for the accident because this could impact your record negatively for future premiums.
Are you wondering, what happens with insurance?
You should expect to have to pay your deductible before your insurance company will start the repair of your vehicle. With that said, your insurance company may waive the deductible because you were involved in a hit-and-run accident. Check your insurance policy to find out, or ask your insurance agent if your plan includes this type of coverage. You should also ask if your premium is going to increase as a result of the accident.
Keep calm after a hit-and-run accident. Knowing what to do afterwards can save you time and money, but contact the attorneys at Hardee, Massey & Blodgett for help. We will help you through the process and help alleviate any unnecessary stresses during what can be a difficult time.