Hardee, Massey & Blodgett, LLP: Experienced, Trusted, Proven
Photo of Attorneys M Brack Massey Charles R Hardee and Kyle M Blodgett

Our Family is Ready to Help Yours

Workers’ Compensation Attorneys Who Will Protect Your Rights

If you’ve been hurt on the job in North Carolina, you are likely entitled to apply for workers’ compensation benefits. Unfortunately, claiming those benefits can be much harder than it should be. Legitimate claims are regularly denied or underpaid, leaving injured workers without the financial support they so desperately need.

After a workplace injury that requires medical treatment and time away from work, it is wise to contact an experienced lawyer like those at Hardee, Massey & Blodgett, LLP. We are proud to represent the hardworking men and women of North Carolina, and we will utilize all of our resources to ensure that your rights are protected and that your claim is honored.

Is It Necessary To Hire An Attorney?

There is no rule or law requiring the help of an attorney for a workers’ comp claim. However, an attorney is often a practical necessity as a check against unfair practices by employers and insurers.

State law requires that all businesses with three or more employees carry insurance coverage for workplace accidents and injuries. In exchange for providing coverage, businesses are protected against lawsuits filed by injured workers.

Unfortunately, a system designed to protect both sides equally does not work nearly as well for workers as it does for employers (and their insurers). Without the help and advocacy of an attorney, workers often find that their claims are denied or rejected, leaving them with no other avenue for financial compensation.

We Are Here For You From Start To Finish

A rejected workers’ compensation claim can be appealed, but you shouldn’t wait until your claim is denied before contacting us. As soon as you hire our firm, we set to work protecting your interests. Our attorneys will:

  • Ensure that you meet all reporting and filing deadlines
  • Make certain you comply with rules regarding medical treatment and other requirements
  • Explain your rights and protections, including protection against retaliation for filing a workers’ compensation claim
  • Help you submit the strongest possible claim, complete with supporting documentation
  • Represent you at all levels of necessary appeal
  • Help you determine if you have additional legal options, such as suing a negligent third party (other than your employer) for causing your injuries

While having an attorney doesn’t guarantee success, many workers find that it makes the entire process easier and less frustrating. Often, it does improve the chances of a successful claim or appeal.

Representing Workers In All Industries

While some jobs are objectively more dangerous than others, you can get hurt in any workplace. Our attorneys frequently represent clients who have been involved in construction site accidents or were injured on a farm. But we also help employees who work in offices, retail settings, food service, skilled trades and more. If you were hurt or sickened on the job, our attorneys are here for you.

Answers To Commonly Asked Workers’ Comp Questions

Below, we’ve answered some of the more common questions we receive from prospective clients. After reading through them, we welcome you to ask us your own questions in a free consultation.

Do I need to hire an attorney for a workers’ compensation claim?

You are not legally required to work with an attorney. The system was originally intended to make compensation easy for both employers and employees and to keep cases out of court. Unfortunately, laws and practices have shifted in recent decades, leaving employers and insurance companies with a lot of power and leaving workers with very little.

Practically speaking, hiring an attorney is often necessary because it may be the only way to ensure that your claim is taken seriously. We can also represent you through all necessary levels of appeal if your initial claim is denied.

Will my medical bills be covered?

In most cases, all the medical costs related to your work injury should be covered, including hospital/physician bills, physical therapy, medications and surgery, when necessary. In order to ensure coverage, you’ll need to see a doctor approved by the insurance company, follow all treatment recommendations and comply with any similar care requirements.

What else does workers’ compensation pay for?

Lost wages are a significant portion of workers’ compensation benefits. If your injury leaves you unable to work for at least seven days, you can usually collect benefits for lost wages. This will not be a complete wage replacement. Instead, payments are typically about two-thirds of your average weekly (pre-injury) wage.

For injuries that leave you permanently disabled or disabled for an extended period of time, you may be eligible for disability pay.

Even if your workers’ compensation claim is initially approved, the insurance company may try to deny you certain critical benefits or otherwise underpay your claim. This is another reason why it can be so helpful to work with an experienced attorney. The insurance company has an entire legal team dedicated to protecting its interests. You also deserve someone fighting on your side.

Can I sue my employer for an on-the-job injury?

If your employer carries workers’ compensation insurance, they are typically immune from lawsuits related to unintentional workplace injuries. North Carolina law treats workers’ compensation benefits as the “exclusive remedy” for workplace injuries.

That being said, may have additional legal options if you were injured at work by the negligence of another person, company or organization unrelated to your employer. We discuss this in more detail on our third-party liability claims page.

Reach Out To Us For A Free Consultation

The attorneys at Hardee, Massey & Blodgett are pleased to offer free initial consultations to all prospective clients. To schedule yours, fill out our online contact form or call our Greenville office at 252-787-4627.