If you have been injured in a car accident you will probably have a lot of questions. The following is a list of those potential questions and answers to those questions as provided by the attorneys at Hardee, Massey & Blodgett, LLP.
WHAT SHOULD YOU DO AFTER AN ACCIDENT?
- Make notes of conversations and events at the scene.
- Keep a diary (medical care, medications, pain, limitations, work issues, etc.)
- Keep a file with all related documents (accident report, bills, insurance letters, etc.)
- Take pictures of the damage to all vehicles involved in the accident.
- Take pictures of your personal injuries.
- Follow the recommendations of your medical providers.
- File your medical claims with your health insurance carrier.
- Notify your insurance company about your accident.
- DO NOT speak with the liability insurance adjuster.
- DO NOT sign a release without speaking with an attorney.
DO I HAVE A CLAIM?
- If you were injured due to the fault or negligence of another, and did not contribute to your injuries, you may have a claim for damages caused by that accident.
WHAT TYPES OF DAMAGES ARE RECOVERABLE?
- Property damages
- Medical expenses – past and future
- Lost wages – past and future
- Pain and suffering
- Permanent injuries
WHEN SHOULD MY CASE BE SETTLED?
- Your claim should not be settled until you have been released by your doctor and know the extent of all of your damages.
- In North Carolina, the statute of limitation for a personal injury claim is generally three years from the date of accident.
SHOULD I HIRE AN ATTORNEY FOLLOWING AN ACCIDENT?
- In most accident cases, there are legal issues concerning liability or fault, property damages, personal injury damages, liens, and insurance coverage.
- An adjuster will contact you after the accident. The adjuster represents the insurance company, not you, and will use his or her experience and training for the benefit of the insurance company.
- To ensure your rights are protected, you need to hire an experienced personal injury attorney.
HOW DO I CHOOSE AN ATTORNEY TO WORK FOR ME?
- Ask family and friends about the reputation of the attorney.
- Ask the attorney about their experience handling personal injury claims.
- Ask if your attorney, and firm, have experience litigating personal injury claims.
- Meet with an attorney to ensure you are comfortable with them and are confident that the attorney will work diligently for you.
If you have additional questions about your car accident or would like a free consultation, call our office at 252-378-2525.