Photo of Attorneys M Brack Massey Charles R Hardee and Kyle M Blodgett

Our Family is Ready to Help Yours


On Behalf of | Feb 18, 2021 | Farming Accidents

Many people groan when they see farm equipment entering the roadway or driving down the road, but farmers need to use the public roadways to travel from field to field or from their farm to their field. It is the only way for them to get their equipment to the place it is needed, and according to Connect NCDOT, they have legal rights allowing them to use any state roadway just like other drivers.

According to Connect NCDOT, you have the legal right to use any state road.



Farmers can only use interstates or freeways that have approval by the North Carolina Department of Transportation. When farmers and their equipment are on these types of roadways, they must have an escort vehicle driving behind then with working flashing lights.

Approval of roads are received if department believes it will be safe for other motorists and for farmers based on the speed they will be driving and the oversized nature of the equipment. You can find an  approved route list on the NCDOT website.

If farmers and farm equipment drive on an unauthorized road, they can face misdemeanor or other traffic charges. They can also be liable for any issues caused such as damage to other vehicles and property, as well as injuries to individuals.



Agricultural workers must follow all the rules of the road and drive safely at all times. They should try to arrange their travel schedules on busier roads during nonpeak times, and make sure there is a clear route to travel. They should also ensure all roads they are traveling are either state roads or authorized roads and that they are using warning signs and lighting, plus avoiding travel in adverse weather conditions.


If you have been injured in an accident involving farm equipment, contact our experienced attorneys at Hardee, Massey & Blodgett. We will be happy to provide you with a free case evaluation and help you decide if you have a claim. Call us today.