Photo of Attorneys M Brack Massey Charles R Hardee and Kyle M Blodgett

Our Family is Ready to Help Yours


On Behalf of | Sep 22, 2021 | Motor Vehicle Accidents, Personal Injury

Every parent dreads answering the phone and hearing that their teenage driver as been involved in an accident. Here are five steps you can take if your daughter or son has been involved in an accident.

1. Address their health

The most important thing you need to do after the accident is determine if your child has sustained any injuries. The body releases adrenalin and other chemicals during a crash, these can temporarily mask symptoms of the accident, so you need to make sure your teenager receives medical attention and is checked for unseen injuries.

2. Go to the accident scene

Meet your child at the accident to not only provide emotional support, but to see first-hand what happened at the scene of the accident.

3. Take photos of the scene

Make sure your teen driver knows that they should take pictures of the accident with their phone if you are not there to do so. They need to take lots of pictures of the scene, damage to any and all vehicles and street signs or other things that may be of importance down the road.

4. Prepare a checklist

Once you arrive at the scene of the accident and check on your child’s health, go through the checklist below:

  • Ensure your child exchanged contact and insurance information with the other drivers. Remind your son or daughter not to discuss the accident or the cause of the accident with anyone at the scene. They only need to speak with you and an attorney.
  • Make sure the police and emergency personnel were contacted if there are obvious signs of injuries at the scene of the accident.
  • Note when the accident occurred as well as details such as weather and road conditions.
  • Get the contact information from all witnesses at the scene of the accident.

5. Seek an attorney and compensation

Your teenage driver may see a doctor and there could be additional medical costs associated with those visits. The next step if for you to contact an attorney who specializes in accidents and then file an insurance company claim.

Remember that if a negligent driver was responsible for your child’s injuries, your child could be entitled to compensation to cover those medical expenses and more. This is why you need to contact an attorney. The experienced personal injury attorneys at Hardee, Massey & Blodgett, LLP are available 24/7 and all consultations are free. Put our team to work for you and your family.